Prev: Re: FTJava - Fighters Next: Re: 15mm Gurkhas - I am embarassed

Re: Looking 4 feedback on FT Weapon System

From: Thomas Westbrook <tom_westbrook@y...>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:27:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Looking 4 feedback on FT Weapon System

I personally like the Heavy beam projectors out of EFSB.  The only
*problem* I found in my draft rules (only on my hard disk and developed
for a local FT campaign) was that the system tended to follow a economic
value of diminishing returns type curve i.e. after a certain mass the
capacitor in system became cheaper the larger it became.  I didn't do it
intentionally.	Other people tend to believe that the system MUST grow
exponentially, but I say fooey.

Your proposed system could be a two part system with a battery and a
single arc projector like out of the EFSB, with the range dependant on
the amout of power shoved through the focusing projector.

I have thought about something like that for the IJN in FB3.  I also
like some of the anime-ish sci fi where the enemy just slices parts of
your ship off.

As far as nationality, I ,in general, don't care since most of the FT
campaigns tend to follow the "donught of death" theory and don't occur
in the FT universe.  Also, in the FT universe, no weapon system can
remain an exclusive *secret* for too long as I probabably sure that
every nation is at least monitoring each other if not directly spying on
each other.  I would think that the UNSC Grazer were developed, at least
in part, at "Cal-tech" in the FCT as per some abmigious hints in the FT
timeline.

DOCAgren@aol.com wrote:
Viggen Heavy Beam Spinal Mount
Mass 12 point cost 36

Limited to a single fire arc facing.

Has 2 different fire set-up which the ship can switch at end of each
turn.

1st Allows it Reach out per (More Thrust AA Battery) range bands [0-18 =
3d6 /19-36 = 2d6 /37-54= d6] hitting per Beam Weapon with the rerolls,
then for each hit(DP) rolls a second d6 and apply damage rolled (no
rerolling if a 6) -1 per level of shielding ship has.  So a ship with
level 2 shields would have d6-2 damage, so it possible to hit at range
and still do nothing to an enemy.

2nd Allows has it act as a pair of standard B3 Beams

Takes two hits to take out,
1st hit locks weapon in mode selected and
	  and in Long Range mode, will just hit per standard Beam
damage.
	  and in Close Range mode, will become just 1 B3.

2nd will take it offline.

Any hit requires a Repair Center to do the repair work, so damage
control can't fix it in the field.

Well guys thanks for any feedback on this.  I beleive I have balanced it
possible striking power by it's Mass and the inability to fix damage in
the field.

Have a Good One,

DOC Agren

     (Lurker on the Digest)

Prev: Re: FTJava - Fighters Next: Re: 15mm Gurkhas - I am embarassed