Prev: Re: Ground Zero Games Fanzine Next: RE: Post Dragon Con questions

[GZGVerse Fiction] Rebellion breaks out on Bretonneux

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:52:08 -0400
Subject: [GZGVerse Fiction] Rebellion breaks out on Bretonneux

		Fighting Breaks Out on Bretonneux
		     Tuesday, July 14, 2133

Estellan, Bretonneux (INN) - New Anglian citizens began fleeing
Bretonneux
after insurgents torched gendarme outposts and threatened new attacks in
spreading
rebellion against the Federal Stats Europa earlier this morning.

In the town of Port du St Lucien, rebels burned down homes in a seaside
neighborhood and fired weapons above the heads of residents who lept
into
the nearby ocean for safety. Two people were reported killed when they
were
unable to escape from their burning homes in time.

Citing mounting violence, the New Anglian Confederation urged more than
15,000
of its citizens to leave the planet while transportation was still
available.
Other governments have issued similar statements to their citizens.

The UNSC is organizing a small military team to assess the security of
the UN
Embassy and its staff.

The NAC is putting Special Operations teams on every flight in and
outbound
of Bretonneux. There are typically two flights from New Albion every
day. NAC
authorities are concerned about the possibility of a shuttle or
spacecraft
hijacking amid the clamor of people trying to get off the planet.

Broadcast stations reported that rebels torched the gendarme stations at
the
northeast border post of Neuveux Simone on Monday, and witnesses said
security
forces fled in fear from their posts in the northern town of Fort
Liberte.

According to Jean-Marcel Darden, regional security coordinator for
Bretonneux,
the northern rebellion outbreak has killed dozens of people, including
20
gendarmes.

So far the orbital facilities remain unaffected by the rebellion.

During the early morning hours, 50-60 insurgents attacked a neighborhood
in
western Estellan, burning down a number of dwellings. While there were
NAC
civilians in the area, none were killed in the fighting and all managed
flee the area, seeking shelter and safety at the NAC Embassy.

"The Embassy is not equipped to handle the kind of volume of people that
we are seeing," stated Frits Clarke, an official of the Embassy. "We
were
able to take the first hundred or so refugees, but we simply have no
more
room. We are urging our citizens to immediately leave the planet by
whatever
means necessary."

"Our government is sending relief ships to evacuate our citizens, but it
will be a couple of days before they can be assembled and sent here,"
added
Clarke. "With the rebels meeting almost no resistence, who knows what
state
things will be in by then?"

"These are all innocent people," said Allan Mejia, also of the Embassy.
"They
are not involved in the political conflict. And the local police are
doing
nothing to safeguard our citizens."

Early reports from FSE colony planets of Doullens and Compville indicate
that
rebellion activities broke out in those systems at virtually the same
time as
those on Bretonneux.

One rebel was overheard yelling during the violence in Port du St
Lucien.
"July 14 is the French 'Bastille Day'. But today, we make it our own
Bastille
Day!"

Prev: Re: Ground Zero Games Fanzine Next: RE: Post Dragon Con questions