Prev: Re: 2 Weeks to GenCon Indianapolis

RE: 2 Weeks to GenCon Indianapolis

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:44:15 -0500
Subject: RE: 2 Weeks to GenCon Indianapolis

> > This year from what I have read, it seems that badges bought
> on-site will
> > not be printed.  They will just give you a pre-lamitated blank badge
and
> > then you write your name on it.  So simple it will make your
> head explode.
>
> *L* Yeah, and the way that TSR used to do it. It sounds like they are
> going out of their way to make sure the same problems don't happen
again.
> I hope so. As I said, we're looking to decide what to do next year,
> whether it be GenCon or Origins.

They did have problems with the Event Registration system earlier this
year,
because of that and everything else, they have beefed up their IT
department.  Here is what Peter Adkison (owner of GenCon) had to say
about
that problem:
http://forums.gencon.com/?f=21&m=6979

> One problem I thought about, though, is the timing of GenCon. It used
> be at the beginning of August. Now it's in the third week, Aug. 19 to
22
> this year. Our 5 year old goes back to school on the 20th. It wouldn't
be
> a huge deal to miss a day, but it's still something we'd rather not
do.

> As you can see, I'm waffling between Origins and GenCon again. *L*

Per their FAQ, "Our goal is to keep Gen Con Indy in late July or early
August to accommodate those in school and to not conflict with other
conventions."  GenCon Indy was scheduled for August 5-8 2004, but then
NASCAR scheduled the Brickyard 400 race for August 8th and that would
have
been a mess with 30,000 NASCAR fans looking for rooms over the same
weekend.
So they moved GenCon to August 19-22, the next opening at the convention
center.

Checking the future Origins and GenCon Indy dates, it looks like:
Origins 2005 - June 30 - July 3
GenCon 2005 - July 28-31

Origins 2006 - June 29 - July 2
Gencon 2006 - August 10-13

One week before I hit the road and I still have some painting of minis
do......

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com
dean@star-ranger.com

Prev: Re: 2 Weeks to GenCon Indianapolis