Prev: Re: 2 Weeks to GenCon Indianapolis Next: Re: 2 Weeks to GenCon Indianapolis

Re: Chipco - WAS: Re: Warbeads@aol.com: GZG Summer Specials. RECOMMENDATIONS wanted.

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@w...>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:25:52 -0500
Subject: Re: Chipco - WAS: Re: Warbeads@aol.com: GZG Summer Specials. RECOMMENDATIONS wanted.

On 9 Aug 2004 at 23:00, The GZG Digest wrote:

> Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:45:11 -0400
> From: Adrian Johnson <adrian@stargrunt.ca>
> Subject: Chipco - WAS: Re: Warbeads@aol.com: GZG Summer Specials.
> RECOMMENDATIONS wanted.

> Anyone have any kind of recommendations/comments on their products -
> either games or minitures (I'm particularly interested in comments on
> their rules, tho').

I don't know if Chipco makes miniatures...

Their "hallmark" set of rules is _Fantasy Rules!_. It's a mass combat
system, similar in scale to DBA or HOTT. The rules are longer than DBA,
but they are much, much clearer. I would say it even plays a little bit
more cleanly than HOTT.

Combat is pretty simple. In melee, both players roll a D10 adding and
subtracting modifiers. If your dice roll is greater than your opponent's

roll, but less than twice your opponent's roll, his unit is demoralized.

If your roll is greater than twice your opponent's roll, the unit is
destroyed. If a demoralized unit is demoralized a second time, it is
pushed back. There are modifiers, similar to HOTT/DBA, for one type of
unit attacking another.

One of the features of FR! (as well as other Chipco games) is the
"morale
clock". Both sides start with their "clock" set at 9. At the end of each

turn, both players total up their losses for that turn, with a
demoralized unit counting as 1 and a destroyed unit counting as 2. The
player that lost the most that turn subtracts 1 from his clock. Once a
player's clock hits 4, 1/4 of his units become demoralized (player's
choice). The game ends when one player loses all of his points, or when
player's morale clock hits 0. Points are totalled to see who won the
game
and who lost (it's possible to hit 0 but still win the game).

The game can be used with any existing figures.

I have two of Chipco's games: Chrysanthemum Throne (samurai battles) and

_Fantasy Rules!_. I bought second edition a few years ago, and I just
bought 3rd edition because of their sale.

If you have any detailed questions about the rules, e-mail me off the
list.

Allan

---

Allan Goodall	    http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@att.net   agoodall@hyperbear.com

"Keeping an open mind is a virtue -- but not so open that your
brains fall out." - James Oberg

Prev: Re: 2 Weeks to GenCon Indianapolis Next: Re: 2 Weeks to GenCon Indianapolis