Prev: Re: [SG 2} AGLs Next: Re: (DS): Systems per Class

Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:07:18 +0100
Subject: Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class

On Saturday 24 July 2004 23:07, Laserlight wrote:
> > You may have 1960/USA technology up against Imperial armies vastly
> > in advance of the defenders. Any rules would have to allow both
> > types of armies on the battlefield at the same time.
>
> "The Imperials win."
>   I think that anything more than 1-2 tech levels difference means
> that the low-tech side cannot win a battle.

All else being equal. Lack of men and support could really
reduce the effectiveness of a high tech unit. High tech often
requires a *lot* of support, from high grade fuel to accurately
engineered bullets.

Orders may also compromise the effectiveness of troops. Maybe
a small unit has been put down on a planet (they were the only
force available) to suppress a rebellion by the natives. But
they absolutely musn't cause a bloodbath. They need to win while
causing a minimum of casualties.

These are all special cases however.

--
Be seeing you,				   http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.					jabber: samuel.penn@jabber.org

Prev: Re: [SG 2} AGLs Next: Re: (DS): Systems per Class