Prev: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort Next: Re: [OT] I need a reality check

Re: [OT] I need a reality check

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:02:16 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] I need a reality check

Part of the 'reality check' is to look at the numbers:
Between 2000 and 2003, military doctors performed 496 breast
enlargements
and 1,361 liposuction surgeries on soldiers and their dependents, the
magazine said.

The listed procedures tend to be a relatively small number, I think, put
into context: how large a population does the US military AND dependents
represent? How do the numbers compare with total procedures in the
population of the US? Can you see special reasons for military wanting
these, whether dependent daughters being especially hard pressed to 'fit
in', or aging soldiers having more and more difficulty keeping weight
off
in spite of a physical culture, and being more desperate because of it.

Hell, if I were to try to be in the military, I'd need the whole Six
Million Dollar Man treatment to be near up to regs.

I sometimes wonder a similar statistical thing when I hear of casualty
reports. It's decidedly morbid, but the stateside mortality rate for the
age groups involved hardly would be zero, in spite of the relatively
healthy, competent, and conscientious sample involved.

>Aw, the media.  Since there(sic) main goal is making money by
entertainment

That's a given... ;->=

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort Next: Re: [OT] I need a reality check