Prev: [DS]AAR The Battle of Research Station Muriel - Again (Long) Next: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

RE: DS3 weapons was RE: (DS): Systems per Class

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:56:05 +0200
Subject: RE: DS3 weapons was RE: (DS): Systems per Class

Brendan wrote:

>Definately the regular list, as I'm not on the test list.
>
>Found it:
>http://lists.firedrake.org/gzg/199903/msg00351.html
>
>It was actually posted by JonT as "Dirtside Accelerator".

That post was my starting point, but I tweaked it to match the chit
system
better (except for the SD:F result which I personally find extremely
unrealistic considering the DS2 timescale, but it could easily be put
back
in if the players really insist on it). One such "tweaked" version is
here:

<http://lists.firedrake.org/gzg/200110/msg00036.html>

...though IIRC I've updated the system a bit further since then (haven't

had time to check yet though). It works OK as long as the players can
quickly multiply fairly low numbers with one another (up to 5x12 for
standard DS2) and determine which of two such products is larger than
the
other, and it accommodates expanding (or fine-grading) of weapon sizes
and
armour ratings without any problems (allowing me to field my
8/3/1-armoured
Abrams <g>). However, if you have any mathematically challenged players
they probably won't like it at all.

Brian Bilderback developed a different DS-FMA system using a high/low
die
concept in addition to varying the die sizes, a bit reminiscent of
Silent
Death's damage system; it gives very nearly as close a match to the
chits
as my system does and is considerably less maths-intensive, but it isn't
as
flexible if you want to go outside DS2's "1 - 5" class range. Not sure
if
it was ever posted here though; that may have been private discussion
and
playtest list only.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: [DS]AAR The Battle of Research Station Muriel - Again (Long) Next: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort