Prev: RE: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort Next: Re: Heresy Mine! was Re: (DS): Systems per Class

RE: (DS): Systems per Class

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:18:39 +0200
Subject: RE: (DS): Systems per Class

Doug Evans wrote:

>At the risk of angering Brian again by bringing up RL, I will point out

>that, at
>various times, classes, whether in ships or armored vehicles, has been
>valid concept. The realities that brought these about were many, from
>mission-driven, to certain non-linear, non-continuous variables, and
not
>necessarily easy to recreate without class structures.

But the only of these "classes" which had any impact on the *size* of
the
design were pure paper constructions - treaty limits which the signatory

powers were supposed to follow. Most of these treaty limits were broken
very quickly, showing that they had were in no way whatsoever derived
from
missions or "non-linear, non-continuous variables".

When you look at the *mission-related* and *tech-related* classes, you
very
quickly find "oddities" like cruisers that were physically bigger than
contemporary battleships. If you look at non-contemporary units, I'm
pretty
certain that you'll find late-WW2 "medium tanks" bigger and heavier than

pre-war "heavy tanks", showing that the concept "heavy tank" is *not*
tied
to a specific size or mass range. These classes are classifications of
the
unit's *performance*, not of its *size* - and as such they are
completely
different from DS2's or FT2's "size classes", which are purely concerned

with the unit's size (just like the old treaty limits) and have nothing
do with its performance or mission.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort Next: Re: Heresy Mine! was Re: (DS): Systems per Class