Prev: Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: RE: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

Re: [FT] Kravak weaponry

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:07:25 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Kravak weaponry

John Atkinson wrote:

>Am I the only person underimpressed with MD-5s?

"MD-5"? I assume that you mean the class-5 K-gun (aka "K5"), but I'm not

entirely sure about it.

>I mean, really.  They aren't likely to double

If you do mean the K5 they inflict double damage on 5/6ths of their
*hits*;
and their hit rate is identical to that of the Roman P-torps. If the K5s

"aren't likely to double", then your P-torps are almost as unlikely to
hit
in the first place.

>and there's only a couple so each missed dice roll really hurts the KV
>player.  I'd rather go up against those monsters than those cursed
MD-2s
>sandpapering away my ships (at an average 3.333 points of damage per
shot).

If the "MD-2s" inflict on average 3.333 pts *per shot*, then either your

"MD-x" family of weapons is something completely different from the FB2
K-guns or your maths are even more impressively inaccurate than they
were
last time you ranted about K-gun performance (at which time you blamed
your
falty maths on your being solidly drunk when you wrote the rant in
question).

K2s inflict an average of 2.667 pts per *hit*, which is a pretty far cry

from the 3.333 pts *per shot* you claim here (unless of course Matt
managed
to hit with more than 100% of the shots, but I kinda doubt that). In
comparison the K5 inflicts on average 9.167 pts *per hit*, which is
6.25%
less than the same Mass of K2 on a per-mass basis but gives a vastly
better
armour penetration against armoured targets. Sucks if the KV only ever
fight unarmoured targets like your specialized anti-KV designs, of
course.

FWIW 2 hits from K2s are rather unlikely to exceed the damage from a
single
K5 hit - it only happens if the K5 fails to double *and* at least one of

the K2s doubles, giving a probability of just under 10%.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: RE: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort