Prev: Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: Re: (DS): Systems per Class

Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:04:44 +1000
Subject: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

From: "John C" <john1x@hotmail.com>

> I been silent for a while -- with good reason, mind! -- but I've got a

> question and I need the input of other Brains.

I guess my name qualifies me then.

RECOMMENDED READING :
A Colder War (the Nevellette) available to read free online at
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

RECOMMENDED LISTENING/VIEWING :
A Shoggoth On The Roof
http://www.cthulhulives.org/Shoggoth/

> It starts with a miniature.  Specifically, Steve Jackson Game's
currently
> OOP "Ogrethulhu".

> It's an unspecified number of years in the future.  The Stars have
come
> right, and the Elder Gods have risen and are busily taking over the
world.
> Humanity, plucky as always, is fighting back with every weapon at
their
> command.

Gotcha.

> And that's where I'm a little stuck.	I want the humans on either side
of
> the struggle to have a little bit of so-called "magic" to play with,
just to
> keep things interesting...

> So I'm looking for ideas as to Battlefield Magic that fits the
following
> criteria:
>    1) Proper Lovecraftian flavor.  Fireballs, for example, are Right
Out.
>    2) Interesting.  Pretty self-explanatory, that.
>    3) Playability.  "Immanentize the Eschaton", while quite
interesting, is
> something of a game-breaker.
>    4) Tactically appropriate.  This is where the Call of Cthulhu list
fails
> me, as most of their spells are focused (not surprisingly) on
affecting
> individuals.

GG - Good Guys BG Bad Guys

1. (GG/BG)Summon Godzilla spell
2. (GG)Elder Signs on vehicles - 1-2 the Tree one works, 3-4 the Star
one, 5 both
and 6 neither. Paint your vehicles before the game, and then roll...
3. (BG)Raise Dead - the old SPI 'Totenkopf' SS division for example,
lots of
opportunities to use those old GHQ SdKfz 251s...
4. (GG)Ark of the Covenant : 'My God's stronger than YOUR God'
5. (GG/BG)Summon Hell's Angels. You either get a band of rabid bikers,
or something
less formidable, a pack of demons.
6. (GG)Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch
7. (GG)Fire trucks (by irregular) filled with Holy Water

> Miniature-wise, I'm quite looking forward to working on this.  I
figure that
> I can use some of the old plastic GW Tyranid minis -- gargoyles, I
think? --
> as decent Mi-Go, I've got a good selection of old Grenadier "Call of
> Cthulhu" miniatures which work surprisingly well as 1/300 scale Elder
Gods,
> and I've got enough organic tanks from a variety of companies to make
> decent showing.
>
> That said, if anyone can think of a good source of 1/300 scale Deep
Ones,
> I'd be in your debt.	25mm figures will work fine as Mother Hydra and
Father
> Dagon, but for the rank-and-file batrachians I'll need something much
> smaller.

1/300 Deep ones... tricky....

Try the GZG Kra'Vak, which are 'inspired' by the movie 'Predator'
Picture at
http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/html/images/dsm-134.jpg

Of course if the Humans go around with Main Battle Tanks with Eldar
Signs on,
no reason why the Deep Ones shouldn't have rocket launchers...

Also available via GZG - Bugs
http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/html/images/dsm-130.jpg

Available via http://www.gzg.com

One scenario : Yugo vs Migo.

Car Wars-style sub-compacts race out to battle spawn of Cthulhu...
I have some old GW stuff (armed civilian vehicles) that would work for
that.

Talking about Old GW stuff, some of the OOP Toad figurines from Talisman
would work as Microbus-sized Batrachians. I also have some Giant Frogs
of a similar size which are still in production, AFAIK.

Epic (6mm) scale Tyrannids would do well, and the Hellhounds of Khorne
would be perfect Hounds of Tyndalos. See if you can get some of the 6mm
Chaos plastic.

Irregular does a lot of 6mm Fantasy stuff - various winged beasties,
things
that go BUMP in the Night.
http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/

Reviresco does an excellent line, including civilian vehicles and the
Godzilla Destroyer (Gojira Hakaisha Laser Projector)
http://www.tin-soldier.com/Civlcar3.jpg
http://www.tin-soldier.com/gojra2.gif
See http://www.tin-soldier.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl for ordering

The Skeleton Hordes from Inferno would be good, as would some of the Big
Guys
http://www.amazonminiatures.com/index_general.htm?http://www.amazonminia
tures.com/catalogue/lib_inferno.asp

Evil Gong is a small manufacturer in Oz that does some amazing figs -
like the 15mm Squidmen
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dfmbrown/squidmen.html
and fishmen (they're a bit big for Deep Ones, but....)
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dfmbrown/fishmen.html

Hope this helps.

Prev: Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: Re: (DS): Systems per Class