Prev: Re: Idiot in distress Next: Re: Idiot in distress

Re: [FH] Penal Colonies

From: DOCAgren@a...
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:05:36 EDT
Subject: Re: [FH] Penal Colonies

In a message dated 7/20/04 1:00:33 AM,
owner-gzg-digest@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU writes:

<< From: Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>

Subject: [FH] Penal Colonies RE: Idiot in distress

***

ObGZGbit: Will the advent of FTL & off-Earth colonies revive

transportation as a judicial punishment, or will colonial efforts be too

expensive to waste on criminals? Lots of SF authors seem to think it'll

make a comeback, anyway.

***

The authors can be all over the map. It can have a high 'humanitarian'

appeal. 'At least we aren't killing anyone...', ignoring the destination
or

even transport may be a death sentence.

If you recall, in Dune, the Emperor's own Saudauker were the product of

prison/death world. To carry it further, it could be argued that that

product could be a dagger in the heart of the empire, if they decide to

become rebels. Just ask USA Georgians... ;->=

ESU Penal Battalions could become, instead of first wave fodder, the

do-or-die elite. Or is that often the same result?

Well, besides keep some "Hardcore" criminals in Penal units, I don't see

shipping these to another colony of yours where U will end up growing a
possible
threat to your own security.  I would keep prisons that are required in
the
system, the prisoners are from.  That is those who don't force the
guards hands.

Now I can see some systems (The Peeps) from Honor Harrington Series who
had a
Prison planet location only known to a few in State Security.  I can see
some
people working ths way.

Have a Good One,

DOC Agren

     (Lurker on the Digest)

Prev: Re: Idiot in distress Next: Re: Idiot in distress