Prev: SG alert! Next: Re: [Dirtside_2_Players_Guild] Alien armies

Re: SG-1 Bag of Dirty Tricks was: SG-1 in SG2

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:48:22 -0400
Subject: Re: SG-1 Bag of Dirty Tricks was: SG-1 in SG2

Ryan Gill wrote:

> At 8:30 PM -0400 7/17/04, Jerry Han wrote:
> >
> >They did have an episode where a team in place used a laser
> >designator to allow a missile fired from the SGC Gate Room to
> >home in and destroy defenses around a gate.
>
> There you go then!
>
> >The problem with all the ideas so far seems to be target
> >acquisition, though.  Everything requires a MALP or something
> >to provide terminal guidance. Tomahawks or other long range
> >weapons probably wouldn't work.  (No GPS, no digital terrain
> >maps, etc.)
>
> Anything with an Electro Optical control would
> work great. Before we had GPS guided bombs there
> were optically guided missiles that an operator
> controlled and guided to target. I'm sure some
> crusty old AirForce Occifer would realize such if
> needed. Of course HOBO was a strap on for 250s
> and larger, there were other Optically guided
> weapons that would work.

I hadn't thought about a optical or IIR guidance
system.  It would make for a very difficult attack
profile though, if you didn't have teams or something
designating on the other side -- you would need to
fire the weapon, and have it immediately 'pop-up' once
it cleared the gate to give the operator time to search,
acquire, and attack a target.

I think the best solution is one they've already shown in
the show, and what they're already doing in real life.
Just put weapons on the UAVs.

> In support of SG teams,
> a laser guided system would work great.

My apologies to previous posters on this subject -- I didn't
realize the reminder had already been brought up about the
laser designation for SGC launched missiles.

> I hadn't thought about the problem of GPS with
> Tomohawk, but the Inertial/TerCom guidance would
> work.

If you had the maps... thing is, without satellites, it's
hard to produce quickly the terrain maps they would need.
(They're off world, no overhad recon except from UAVs.)
Inertial might work, assuming the terrain and the planet
itself co-operates.  (e.g. rotation of the planet you're
on is close enough to Earth, or the target is close enough
that the rotation is irrelevant, no odd weather patterns, no
odd magnetic vaviations, etc.)

> >All that being said, I've never understood why they've never
> >put some sort of turret on a MALP, so teams offworld do have
> >access to some sort of anti-aircraft firepower... (I think
> >somebody already mentioned putting Stingers on a MALP, for
> >example.)
>
> Avenger is pretty big actually. It does a handy
> job of making an otherwise stable offroad
> platform very unstable on side slopes. For now
> ManPads are the thing, though a means of firing
> an Off Axis guided SAM would be great for through
> gate air defense.

Oh, I wasn't thinking of the Avenger turret -- just some
sort of lash-up job where you mount a bunch of Stinger
tubes on a remote-control pedestal, or taking cues from
a single fire-control unit.  I'm not even sure if it's
electronically possible, though.

I'm taking a cue from the 1950s, something like the 'Ontos'.
Obviously, you couldn't fit 6 106mm recoilless rifles on a
MALP, but you could put one or two.  Or maybe even better,
use Starstreak -- since it's a laser rider, you could use
it against ground targets as well as airborne ones.  (At
least, I've heard you can use it to engage ground targets;
somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)  It wouldn't be
a very good anti-personnel weapon, but, it's better than
nothing.  And given Death Gliders and Alkesh bombers attack
directly, it gives you a zero angle shot if they're lining
up for their attack run.

JGH

--
Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan - TBFTGOGGI
"The snow is coming down, on our New England town, and it's been falling

Prev: SG alert! Next: Re: [Dirtside_2_Players_Guild] Alien armies