Prev: Re: Phalons in scale sizes? Next: Re: SG-1 in SG2

Re: SG-1 in SG2

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:39:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: SG-1 in SG2

--- John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- J L Hilal <jlhilal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I am suggesting that to get a die, the gunner
> > collects the SAW ammo carried by the rest of the
> > fireteam and sets up for sustained fire with
> > the bipod, ammo, and barrels, using either a
> > REORGANIZE, FORM DETACHMENT, or READY WEAPON action
> > (or starts the game that way).
>
> I'm going off US doctrinal definitions of Automatic
> Rifle vs. Light Machine Gun.	Spent my share of time
> as a SAW gunner and love the weapon.	In your typical
> squad, you have 1 or 2 SAW gunners (depending on type
> of squad) each carrying 600-800 rounds of ammunition.
> The bipod is integral to the weapon and always
> deployed before firing--the weapon is really too heavy
> to fire without it.  The spare barrel (1) is carried
> in a bag with the tripod and neither is broken out
> unless the firefight goes on for an extremely extended
> period.
>
> In other words, the typical (and doctrinally correct
> except in deliberate defense) use of the M-249 SAW
> would, by your assumptions, be only marginally more
> effective than an M-16A4.  This has not been my
> personal experience in action.  Remember, the M-249
> was designed and fielded as an Automatic Rifle first
> and foremost, and as a machine gun secondarily.

OK.  I was going on an extrapolation from my firsthand range firing of
the BAR and experiences related to me by others of using the BAR and
M60 in the field to get a feel for the (belt fed) M249 from written
descriptions and capabilities.	Perhaps you can clear up some questions
to help me refine this.

Is the M249 fire from a prone position with the bipod folded, such as
"up, move, down, fire, up, move, etc."?

Is the M249 fired from the shoulder in non-prone positions, such as
standing or kneeling, either supported (eg on a wall) or free?

Is the M249 fired from the hip in assaulting a position?  From the
shoulder?  Neither?

If it is used in any of the above situations, how effective is it in
relation to the M16?  Better?  Less?  Equal?

In relation to the M249 used w/ bipod from the prone position?

What modes of use would you suggest are relevent to SG2?  Bipod and
tripod only, or also non-bipod, mobile (what I refered to as AR, ie
non-prone shoulder-fired or prone non-bipod)?

What FP would you recommend for each of these modes?  d6, d8, or d10?

Does use of the tripod increase accuracy enough to justify a change in
RBs from Qx2 to Qx3?

Does tripod use of the M249 require an assistant gunner for the
additional equipment?

Would you consider a single SAW gunner with full tripod set-up
ENCUMBERED (in game terms)?

Are you satified with the stats I suggested for the bipod and tripod
modes of the M240?

How familiar are you with the British SA80/L86 LSW (the heavy barrel,
bipod version)?  How does it compare to the M249 in various uses?

Prev: Re: Phalons in scale sizes? Next: Re: SG-1 in SG2