Prev: Re: Phalons in scale sizes? Next: Re: SG-1 in SG2

Re: SG-1 in SG2

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: SG-1 in SG2

--- J L Hilal <jlhilal@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am suggesting that to get a die, the gunner
> collects the SAW ammo
> carried by the rest of the fireteam and sets up for
> sustained fire with
> the bipod, ammo, and barrels, using either a
> REORGANIZE, FORM
> DETACHMENT, or READY WEAPON action (or starts the
> game that way).

I'm going off US doctrinal definitions of Automatic
Rifle vs. Light Machine Gun.  Spent my share of time
as a SAW gunner and love the weapon.  In your typical
squad, you have 1 or 2 SAW gunners (depending on type
of squad) each carrying 600-800 rounds of ammunition.
The bipod is integral to the weapon and always
deployed before firing--the weapon is really too heavy
to fire without it.  The spare barrel (1) is carried
in a bag with the tripod and neither is broken out
unless the firefight goes on for an extremely extended
period.

In other words, the typical (and doctrinally correct
except in deliberate defense) use of the M-249 SAW
would, by your assumptions, be only marginally more
effective than an M-16A4.  This has not been my
personal experience in action.	Remember, the M-249
was designed and fielded as an Automatic Rifle first
and foremost, and as a machine gun secondarily.

> Adding the tripod would either encumber the gunner
> or be rated as a
> 2-crew SW and increase RB to Qx3.  Maybe also
> increase FP to d10, but
> I'm not sure on that.

That would make it as effective as an M-240 MAG and it
definitely is not.  I know that for reasons of
parlimentary financial parsiminiousness our Australian
brethren have been forced to adopt it in that role
(pseudo-GPMG) but it is not designed to fill that role
nor does it do so with effectiveness.

John

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Prev: Re: Phalons in scale sizes? Next: Re: SG-1 in SG2