Prev: SG-1 in SG2 Next: Re: SG-1 in SG2

Re: GZG Colours

From: "Robin Fitton" <contactrobin@h...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:12:36 +0000
Subject: Re: GZG Colours

Thanks Allan,

Now I know more about them I will go for a more natural look.  I
finished
adding sand (and sealing it) to the 15mm figure bases last night and
spray
primed them black (I normally hand paint black primer after a major
disaster
when I ruined 100 expensive 25mm Foundry Celts).

I started painting a test Phalon figure with a very dark brown dry brush
and
then two progressive highlights.  With the octopus link now in my mind I

think I will stick to this brown look but add some other brighter spot
colour – aiming for the mottled Octopus look.

To keep them distinctive on the table I might give them highlighted red
or
blue weaponry, just to make the small figures easy to identify from
table
height.

Robin
http://www.rottenlead.com

> [...]
> > standards for the flesh / hard shell colours?
> >
> > At the moment I was thinking of using a pale green blotchy colour
for
>the
> > Kra'Vak flesh (with a hint of purple) and for the Phalon I had pink
in
>mind
> > with cream hard shells?
>
>I guess I should comment as I was the one to create the Phalon beta
test
>rules. :-)
>
>As per the beta test rules, Phalon shells can alter colour to blend in
with
>the surroundings. So, unless they are fighting on a planet with pink
>soil/sand and cream coloured boulders, it's unlikely that they would be

>pink and cream. :-)
>
>However, they _could_ change their shells to those colours if they
wanted
>to.
>
>Jon posted this to the playtest list:
>
>"The ones on our tradestand display are painted a darkish orange-red,
and
>look quite nice in that - but don't take that as "official".... ;-)"
>
>Phalons don't wear uniforms. For this reason, and because of other
>rationale (such as the way their three-lobed eyes work) I came up with
the
>idea that their skins could change colours, much like a terrestrial
octopus
>or chameleon. If they only had one colour, and they couldn't vary it,
they
>would eventually have developed some sort of camouflage clothing to
hide
>them in foreign environments. Since "they be nekid", I figured they had
>natural way of changing colour.
>
>My 25mm Phalons were primed in black, and "painted" with a cosmetic
sponge
>technique in dark green and then brown. These are almost traditional
>camouflage colours, which I thought would work well in a murky bayou.
>However, I do have some interesting lichen colours, including some deep
red
>and beige, which if I used them consistently would mean that a brighter

>coloured Phalon would be a good idea (such as how Jon's were painted).
>
>I suggest painting them the colour that is predominant on your table
top,
>or paint them in a wild contrasting colour for easier play. If anyone
says
>anything, just tell them that they can be any colour they want. I'm
>currently trimming and priming my 15mm Phalons. I'm also planning on
>replacing my lichen. If I do both at once, I can paint the Phalons to
match
>the new lichen.
>
>David Stuckey suggested that you could do a wonderful job painting them

>like tree frogs, or other amphibians.
>
>As an aside, I have one more change to make to the Phalon rules. The
D10
>armour for the mutant breeders is going away. I should have the change
up
>on my web site in the next day or so. At the same time I'll add a
painting
>guide, as this is the second or third time it has come up.
>
>Allan
>
>--
>Allan Goodall
>
>agoodall@att.net