Prev: Re: 15mm GZG Vehicles? Next: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

Re: TOE

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 17:39:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: TOE

--- Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:
> At 1:50 PM -0500 7/3/04, <warbeads@juno.com> wrote:
> >Mil Specs.  God's answer to "more is better."
>
> Depends on the milspec actually. I'll bet my
> M813A1 against any of the newer FMTVs for
> sturdiness. Its just heavier, noisier, a bit more
> service intensive in daily maintenance and uses
> more fuel. But it's solid. Now, FMTVs when they
> work all the bugs out and get the privates
> trained to not treat them like a POS CUCV, then
> they'll be somewhere.

According to my fiance (ex-88M) that's sort of a yes,
BUT.  The 800- and 900- are somewhat sturdier.
8-hundreds are stick shift, which is inconvenient at
best.  LMTV and FMTV have other advantages.  LMTV is
air-transportable by Chinook, and both of them are
much easier to put on cargo planes because they can be
lowered.  LMTV and FMTV brake lines are less likely to
freeze solid.  Mounting a ring mount on an old 5-ton
is also more complex, while it is a ten minute
procedure with a wrench and the new ones.  The mileage
really isn't that different.  The main difference, she
says, is really personal preference.

John

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Prev: Re: 15mm GZG Vehicles? Next: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE