Prev: FT Java Next: RE: DSII - To Word Format... Yet?

Re: [sg] Hover tank

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:33:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [sg] Hover tank

>From the "I'll get around to it when I feel like it" pile I recently
>started working on a 25 mm resin hover tank I bought from KR at Gen Con
>about 5 years ago.  I don't know why I started working on it, but I
did.  I
>was wondering if anyone else has built one of these and if there were
any
>pictures out there of one completed.
>
>Here's the real problem, I'm not sure which one this is.  It might be a
>SF25-26a, but since there's no pic on the web site I don't know for
sure.
>It comes in about 3 main pieces, the hover skirt (notable feature is
the
>propulsion jets on each rear corner), the hull (basically rectangular
with
>a smooth, rounded, sloped front glacis and a rounded rear with various
>hatches and bits on it), and the turret (very thin approximately 1/4"
>thick, with a hemisphere on the right front corner [possibly a PDS
turret],
>and a commander hatch on the left side in the middle).  It comes with a
>metal barrel for the main gun with a angle cut on the business end, and
>tri-barrel which I assume is the PDS or the commander's weapon, and two
>metal hatch covers.  One "feature" that was the cause of major
frustration
>and which will probably be remembered by anyone who put one of these
>together is that the gun mantlet/mounting piece is about twice as wide
as
>the turret is thick.  A fact I didn't appreciate until I started
matching
>up pieces.  It's possible (and I've thought this more than once) that
I'm
>missing a lower turret piece, but at this point I'm going to continue
on as
>I've already scratch-built a lower turret half.
>
>So if anyone knows of any pics of this tank, or can positively ID it,
or
>has one that they've put together I'd like to swap info.
>
>Bill

 From the description, this is NOT actually a GZG model; I think what
you've got is one of the ones that GeoHex  made as one of their own
products, though the design is based on one of our Future Wars 6mm
tanks. I can't recall whether it ever had a lower turret half or not.
KR did once send me an example of it (it's around somewhere up at the
workshop I think!), but the casting was not great and it would have
taken a significant amount of time to get it in a condition where I
could make moulds for it over here, so I never put it into UK
production. Maybe one day I'll dig it out and spend the time to mould
it up, if there is a demand!

Jon (GZG)

Prev: FT Java Next: RE: DSII - To Word Format... Yet?