Prev: [sg] Hover tank Next: CMOH winners - was RE: UNSC Ship Names

Re: UNSC Ship Names

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:06:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: UNSC Ship Names

--- "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:
> > For the Warrior corvettes, use names of famous (or made-up famous)
> > soldiers - grunts who have distinguished themselves through the
> > ages.  Like in Starship Troopers, where the Rodger Young (in the
> > BOOK) is actually a corvette/transport, and it is noted that the
> > little ships are named for the footsloggers, while the big carriers

> > are named for battles (eg: the Ypres). Look at any war memorials or

> > roll of honour, and pick some names that sound good, or just make
> > some up for heroes of 21st/22nd century battles!.
> >
> > Jon (GZG)
> >

>    Yeah, I'd already started pulling famous generals names out of my
> head.  I'll have to find Victoria Cross and MOH winners to use as
> well.  I've gotten a bunch of excellent suggestions.

"The Marine Corps Book of Lists" by Albert A. Nofi contains a list of
all USMC MoH winners by date, conflict, and action, as well as a list
of all USN corpsmen who were awarded the MoH for actions while on duty
with the USMC.

"The Civil War Book of Lists" by the same author contains similar lists
for the USMC, USA, and USN for the ACW.

You could also use the names of historical warrior types or cultures.
e.g.:
UNS Hoplite
UNS Spartan
UNS Samurai
UNS Archer
UNS Highlander
UNS Myrmidon
UNS Legionary
UNS Velite
UNS Hastari
UNS Knight
UNS Cuirassier
UNS Hussar
UNS Cossack

or legendary/mythical warriors
e.g.
UNS Hector
UNS Achilles
UNS Siegfried
UNS Roland
UNS 47 Ronin
UNS Galahad
UNS Gawain
UNS Lancelot
UNS Gary Owen

Prev: [sg] Hover tank Next: CMOH winners - was RE: UNSC Ship Names