Prev: Re: Game stores in Chicago Next: RE: IF stats? was: 3-row hull costs

Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:51:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

>> challenge.  Likewise, in the Napoleonic era, I
>> played the Russians.  The
>> French had it all over them, but they were neat.  I
>> loved the
>> semi-immobile masses, big (though not that
>> effective) guns, and the fact
>> that while could barely manuever (comparatively),
>> they  would stand and
>> hold forever.
>
>I really do think that this view of Russian troops
>(reinforced by most Nappy-era games) is exaggerated,
>and that the Russians were for the most part not much
>worse than any of Napoleon's other opponents.

>John
For months in 1812 Napoleon tried to trap and destroy
the Russian armies. He failed! The Russians would
engage and breakoff action with the French time and
time again. This is not the actions of a "barely
manuever" command but one that knew what it's
and the French's strengths and weaknesses were and
used them.

Only at Boridino (in front of Moscow) did the Russians
decide to dig in and even there they did not give
Napoleon a deciseive victory (they did not commit
the Russian Guard and left the battle field with
a weakened but intact army).

Most wargame rules are all battle with little
campaign and no logistics built in.

Scott Siebold

Prev: Re: Game stores in Chicago Next: RE: IF stats? was: 3-row hull costs