Prev: Re: [FH] What do you call in Drop Troops the NSL Next: Re: [FH] What do you call in Drop Troops the NSL

Re: [FH] What do you call in Drop Troops the NSL

From: Matt Tope <mptope@o...>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:26:28 +0100
Subject: Re: [FH] What do you call in Drop Troops the NSL

Roger wrote:

>>Morskoy Pekhoty

>>Having another mental itch, I did a quick look at Alta Vista
Babelfish, and
>>it suggests voyenomorsk for naval. Is 'sea' infantry more appropriate
usage
>>in the Russian military?

>Voyna is "war". If you have piekhotiy, it's assumed that they're
>warlike. On the other hand, a voyenomorskoiy flot is a "sea-war fleet",
>because "morskoiy flot" could mean your fishing-boats and such like.

Unfortunately my Russian is mainly learn't from Tom Clancy novels,
however for my FT (and now SG2, played my first game a week ago..wow!)
FH Russian derived culture I wanted to call the "space marine" style
forces Fleet Infantry (hate the term space marine, reminds me of the
days when I was under the spell of GW...shudder...). If the terms John
provided me are more along the lines of Naval Infantry I'm not bothered,
I don't object to the use of Navy/Naval in regards to space forces, and
it does have a sense of tradition which I like.

John wrote:

>Assault-Landing Battalions [desantno-shturmovyy
>batalion, DShB]

Thank you for all the names, but especially this one. I had the idea for
this style of formation but no idea exactly what to call it.

>This is all 'by
>the book' and like most other parts of the Russian
>military reality does not live up to these
>expectations.

Fortunately for them (but not their enemies) my future Russki's have
gotten them selves sorted out in that regard.

Regards,

Matt Tope

Prev: Re: [FH] What do you call in Drop Troops the NSL Next: Re: [FH] What do you call in Drop Troops the NSL