Prev: Re: Questions for the Forum Next: Re: Painting tips

Re: Ship match up question

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 19:25:21 +0200
Subject: Re: Ship match up question

Catinator replied to John C. Malis:

> >What is the best way for matching up ships for battle?

Generally speaking CPV. If you have to use the NPV, make sure that both
sides have roughly the same distribution of ship sizes as well as the
same
points value.

> >Also, would a NAC Majestic Class Battle cruiser, a NAC Victoria class

> Battleship and a
> >NAC Vandenburg class Heavy Cruiser be a fair match against an NSL
> >Richthofen class Battle cruiser, a NSL Maria Von Burgund class
> Battleship and a
> >NSL Markgraf class Heavy Cruiser?

[...]

>Check the Point values as well.

They're almost exactly equal - assuming that the Vandenburg is a /T
variant, the NPV is NAC 1033 vs NSL 1036 (and the CPV is 1047 vs 1049).
If
the NAC use a standard Vandenburg, reduce their PVs by 8 pts.

>You will have a hard time, because you'll be outgunned.

Particularly in the FP and FS arcs... not so badly frontally (all those
NAC
P-torps) or in the AP/AS arcs (the B2-6s) though. And that doesn't take
the
NAC missiles into account  at all.

>They are slow but bristling with beam batteries and heavily armoured.

Well, the NSL BB is slow. The other two NSL ships are as fast as the NAC

heavies (thrust-4), and could be as fast as all three NAC ships if the
NAC
use the Vandenburg/T variant.

OTOH all the NAC ships have both screens and armour, and the NSL only
have
a single screen-skipping weapon (the P-torp on the BB)... so in this
particular match-up it actually takes more NSL firepower to kill the NAC

than vice versa :-/

>Try to separate them and concentrate on one at the time but keep out of

>the range of the others.

Always a good idea.

>Use the Salvo Missiles wisely. They are the bane of NSL if he doesn't
>bring Point Defence ships.

Normally I'd agree, but in this case the NAC only have one single SML...

and each of the NSL ships have 3-4 PDSs and a couple of B1s. That's not
enough missiles to overwhelm the defences - they can still do serious
damage with lucky dierolls, but they need that luck.

>You are much faster,

Er... no. See above.

>keep out of his front fire arc to reduce firepower (won't be easy!).

Particularly not if the NAC wants to use their P-torps... or you use
Vector
movement :-/

>Pulse Torpedoes can help a lot if they hit.

The problem with NAC P-torps is that you need to keep facing towards the

enemy in order to use them... and in Cinematic, the NAC ships are a bit
too
clumsy for that :-(

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Questions for the Forum Next: Re: Painting tips