Prev: Re: Auftragstaktik Next: Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat

Re: Culture was Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat

From: Mark Sykes <tardis@b...>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 17:45:31 +1000
Subject: Re: Culture was Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat

At 2:42 PM +1000 5/5/2004, Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:
>From: "Mark Sykes" <tardis@byterocky.net>
>
>>  *AHEM*
>>  North of the border between Queensland and the Southern types there
>>  are some differences that we "northeners" put down to the
>>  ameliorating effects of the heat and lack of shoulder-to-shoulder
>>  living practiced by the inhabitants "down south".
>>  Please be aware that we are speaking of all of Australia north of
the
>>  Queensland/NSW border and that does represent a land mass comparable
>>  to most of Europe.
>>  We have more in common with the Taswegians in that we are used to
the
>>  way that the politicians ignore us. The accents and dialect words
are
>>  discernable. (part of my job)
>>  The proposal is that cultural differences can occur as a result of
>>  climate effects as well as the perception that there is a
>>  centrally-navel-gazing government clique looking after themselves
who
>>  "see not the others".
>>  ;-)
>
>I should add that I live in Canberra, otherwise known in Queensland
>as "The Enemy", "Barad-Dur" etc.

We can't spell <<Barad-Dur>>...

>Think of the great regard and respect the hardworking Gummint Employees
of
>Washington DC are held in by some in the US, and you get the idea.
>
>Mark has the misfortune to live in a place subject to periodic
>infestations of Sea-Wasps (Box Jellyfish - really, really venomous
>even by Australian standards), Cyclones, Peanut-Farming and
Fish-and-Chip
>shop-owning politicians, and other noxious things.

and not to forget the Irukandji-dangerous by box jellyfish (BJF)
standards (kills more then the BJF and our old friend the Taipan -
the very venomous snake that does NOT run away from humans.

>It's also God's Own Country, and some would say the best spot on
>the planet to live in.
>
>This is getting humungously OT, but I'd be interested in the few
>regional variations of that Borg of Languages there are here in Oz.
>Just as the Innuit have (supposedly) many names for snow, the names
>of standard glasses of beer in Oz vary from state to state. But what
else?

The name given to
SUITCASE: port/bag
SWIMMING COSTUME: togs/trunks/cossies
POWER POLES: posts/stobbie poles/

Prev: Re: Auftragstaktik Next: Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat