Prev: RE: [DScommittee] Fwd [DS 2] design question - a little 1 capacityquestion. Next: Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts

Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:20:02 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts

>     I agree it would be really cheesy but most players don't seem to
> start their ships at velocities that would lend themselves to this
> tactic.  For those that do, this would be a reasonable way to nail
> down the loophole.
>     In future, this loophole probably won't much matter.  With the
> Proposed Fighter Fixes (which you wouldn't have seen if you just
> joined the list, they were posted about a month ago), you'd want to
> have your fighters arrive at the same time that your ships pull into
> weapons range, so he has to chose what to shoot at.

   Actually, I have seen the Beta rules.  At first glance, I think
they'll do
 nicely.  I agree, the "send the fighters ahead" idea won't be a good
one with
 normal fleet book ships.  The problem is that if this tactic is legal,
it
 allows people to design carriers with nothing more than ftl, drives,
and
 fighter bays.	Then they can build a fleet of these and small ships to
move
 the fighters.	The carrier launches the fighters, then moves in the
opposite
 direction as fast as possible.  With all the offensive firepower
concentrated
 in the fighters, you should have little problem overwhelming the enemy.
 As a
 matter of fact, this is probably an excellent fleet philosophy if it
was
 possible in "reality".

   Still, the worst thing for me is the thought of large numbers of
fighters
 screening a courier or scout ship.  These things are barely larger than
the
 fighters themselves.  A limit to the numbers of fighters able to screen
a ship
 seem to make sense.  At least to me....  :-)

  grant

Prev: RE: [DScommittee] Fwd [DS 2] design question - a little 1 capacityquestion. Next: Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts