Prev: Hammer's Slammer/David Drake news... Next: RE: DS2 PDFs

RE: [DS 2] design question - a little 1 capacity question.

From: "CS Renegade" <njg@c...>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:54:51 +0100
Subject: RE: [DS 2] design question - a little 1 capacity question.

Glenn, could you quote that thread subject please? I can't pick it
up from my own archives or Firedrake.

> Now the question has come up (and it seems to follow the same
> types of logic) that a Command/Communications system should or
> should not be counted as a 'weapon' system either.

> Basically there are two schools of thought here - one says it
> doesn't directly kill a vehicle/fire team so it doesn't count as
> a weapon system but the second says that <snip> it actively
> participates in the combat process.

<snip analysis of impact by class>

> Not a big issue and I am willing to allow HQ/Communication
> system to not count as a weapon towards the 1 weapon per
> Vehicle Class size in design but if anyone has a good argument
> that it 'should' count as a weapon then post a reply please.

I've flipped through the rules including the blurb on C&C at
the front, and I don't think there's anything to help clarify.
The Command / Control Centre is listed as a system rather than a
weapon, but so are GMS in places.

I'd say it isn't weapon for the purposes of vehicle design. I have
a nagging feeling that the list has discussed the reasoning behind
the "no more weapons than size class" rule, but if so then I can't
recollect the explanation that was given. I'd expect the volume
rules to make it unnecessary (unless someone tried a 15-barrel
HEL/1 in playtesting).

For DS III I'd favour a larger, more expensive and _mandatory_
command centre (field a backup if you think you can afford it).
Let's give those VTOLs a baggage camp to loot! (It's safer than
shooting up some artillery parks.)

Nathan "how many chits are in there?" Girdler

Prev: Hammer's Slammer/David Drake news... Next: RE: DS2 PDFs