Prev: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered? Next: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?

Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:13:48 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?

Hugh Fisher wrote:

> >First, is that comparing Mass of Grasers to beams is not sufficient.
> >Grasers cost more per mass than beams and this must be factored in,
> >because the cost is there specifically to account for some of the
> >Mass/Power imbalance.
>
>  True, I didn't take that into account. The difference
>  is exaggerated in the UNSC designs by their expensive
>  hulls though.

Er, no. The hulls pay for their own advantages; their higher cost
doesn't
affect the cost of the ship's weapons.

> >Third, Head-on passes against grasers are not the best way to
survive.

>  My impression is that the head on attack works because it
>  gets the maximum number of beams into action as soon as
>  possible.

But it also brings the maximum number of *grasers* into action as soon
as
possible. If you are outgunned (F) to (F) but can match or outmatch the
enemy (FP) to (FP) or (AP) to (AP), go for the broadside fight instead
of
the head-on ones! (IME (AP) to (AP) is often easier to arrange than (FP)
(FP).)

>It's tempting to try and skirmish at 18-24 where the grasers can't hit
you
>at all, but if you get caught in the 12-18 band where you only have
>one-third to one-half the firepower, it isn't pleasant.

But this situation is even worse for the graser ships, for where the
beam
ships only get into trouble if they get their range too short (less than

range 18) the graser ships get into trouble both if they get the range
too
short (less than range 12) *and* if they get it too long (more than 18)
:-/

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered? Next: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?