Prev: [OT/eBay] NAC & ESU Minis Next: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?

Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:25:48 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?

Noam Izenberg wrote:

>First, is that comparing Mass of Grasers to beams is not sufficient.
>Grasers cost more per mass than beams and this must be factored in,
>because the cost is there specifically to account for some of the
>Mass/Power imbalance.

 True, I didn't take that into account. The difference
 is exaggerated in the UNSC designs by their expensive
 hulls though.

>Third, Head-on passes against grasers are not the best way to survive.
>As you mention, if the NAC could keep out of 12-18MU range, they stood
>a much better chance. This may not be easy, but I wonder if a two
>player game would see the maneuver component evolve rapidly as this
>point was driven home. The role of maneuver is very hard to playtest
>solo (or even with small numbers of two+ player games).

 My impression is that the head on attack works because it
 gets the maximum number of beams into action as soon as
 possible. It's tempting to try and skirmish at 18-24 where
 the grasers can't hit you at all, but if you get caught in
 the 12-18 band where you only have one-third to one-half
 the firepower, it isn't pleasant. Outflanking attempts have
 the same danger, hence my comment about having to get it
 exactly right.

 I'll see if I can fight some battles against human opponents.

	Hugh

Prev: [OT/eBay] NAC & ESU Minis Next: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?