Prev: Re: [SGII] Alien seed Next: Re: [SGII] Alien seed

Re: FT---boom-and-zoom tactics

From: <bail9672@b...>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:26:58 -0500
Subject: Re: FT---boom-and-zoom tactics

>> The 1/2" or cm MU is a neat idea, but the miniatures
>> need to be tiny.
>
>I thought that, too, so I asked Oerjan about it, as I knew
>he used cm MUs. He explained that he mounts his ships
>at different heights. The larger ships are the tallest, then
>the medium sized ships, and then the small ships. It means
>that two large capital ships can't be too close together,
>but it alleviates some of the crowding.

People still have fat fingers. :)  And a tendency to grab a miniature
in the most dangerous method (okay, I'm paranoid about my
fiddly-bits-laden miniatures).	I want them to use the stand.

>I do agree with you that the miniatures are a bit big
>for centimetre scale. I don't have a lot of space in
>our apartment, which is the reason I hardly play
>FT anymore. Centimetre or half-inch scale
>would work best for me, but the miniatures are
>just too darned big. I don't see this problem of too
>little space ending soon (though rebasing my figures
>will help), which is why I've been vaguely considering
>getting out of FT altogether.
>
>Allan Goodall

You could use (oh no, he's going to say it)... counters,
probably on a hex map.	SFB started that way.  You
won't have to give up FT.  I wonder how much and it
it's worth it for GZG to create one or more sheets of
counters for the FB ships and also missile salvos and
fighter squadrons.  I know they have a photocopyable
page in one of the rule books (FT?) and I've done that
onto cardstock (which is still flimsy).  The backside
could have a black circle for "boogey" sightings.

and from Oerjan:
>I've used cm MU with Monday Knight Production's
>Terran "Super-Galactic Dreadnoughts" without
>any problem <shrug>
>
>Oerjan

I can't conceive of not having problems unless your ships
never got within 3" of each other (sorry, 7.5 cm).  In our
one battle it got be a furball and we had to remove
some miniatures from the board to get others to fit (but
we kept track of their relative location to others so when
we had room we put them back into play).  We've had
close calls using 1" MU, but never had to remove miniatures
from play.  We'll be staying with 1" MU, floating the
playing area and the miniatures when necessary.

Glen

Prev: Re: [SGII] Alien seed Next: Re: [SGII] Alien seed