Prev: Re: ? for the FT players or anyone with RW Naval Build Times Next: Re: ? for the FT players or anyone with RW Naval Build Times

Re: ? for the FT players or anyone with RW Naval Build Times

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 13:51:17 +0000
Subject: Re: ? for the FT players or anyone with RW Naval Build Times

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 07:40:55AM -0600, Doug Evans wrote:

>The scary thing is, I'm assuming it's smaller than what was possible to
>create, or even was created, in the FH. There's no reason to believe
that
>the NAC was building at full rates through the period, and the
spreadsheet
>can't count the obsolescent classes built at the start of build runs
for
>some ships, or the newer classes mentioned but not seen in the FB's.

Entirely true. I'd probably double that if I were aiming at getting
numbers for total shipbuilding capacity.

>Not sure if the previous inquistor wanted to know, but would a slip(?)
in a
>shipyard capable of building an 80,000 tonne be a) capable of building
just
>one 3,500 tonne at a time, b) capable of multiple smaller ships, or c)
>wouldn't be used for such a small ship, even if the need were great?

It does occur to me that in spite of what we often see in SF films
there's no real need for "a slip" to be involved at all - these are all
vacuum-only ships, and could be built in free space near the shipyard
proper without necessarily having any sort of support framework
surrounding them (though it might well make life easier).

Roger