Prev: Re: DS2 Walker size restrictions Next: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Re: more graser stuff (no sheep, just statistics)

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:39:04 +0100
Subject: Re: more graser stuff (no sheep, just statistics)

Glen Bailey wrote:

>The Graser-1, for its mass and within its range band,

This is part of your problem. You're consistently looking at the G1's
MASS,
when you should be looking at its COST.

If you, as you did in one of your previous posts, compare 1x G1-6 (4
MASS)
with 1x B2-6 + 1x B1-6 (also 4 MASS), then the Graser costs about 20%
more
than the weapons you compare it to (when you include the costs for
weapons'
respective fractions of the ships engines, screens etc.; on a straight
weapon cost comparison the G1 is of course 33% more expensive - 16 pts
vs 12).

If you compare the Graser with weapons of equal COST instead, the
comparison becomes 1x G1-6 vs 1x B2-6 + *2*x B1-6 - and in this
comparison
the G1 is outgunned at range 18-24 (of course, since it can't reach that

far), wins big at range 12-18, and is outgunned again at range 0-12. It
has
a sweet spot at range 12-18, but if it strays outside that range band it
is
in trouble.

>The Class-2 Beam comes close.	The 3-arc Beam2 beats out the 6-arc
>Graser1, but not the 3-arc Graser1.

Same thing here. Sure, if you compare 2x G1-3s (6 MASS) with 3x B2-3s (6

MASS) the G1-3s looks superior - but once again the G1s cost about 20%
more
than the B2s. For equal COST, pit 4x G1-3s against 7x B2-3s instead:
evenly
matched at range 0-12, the G1s win at range 12-18, and are rather badly
outgunned at range 18-24. 'Course, if you have banned ships with nothing

but B2s it isn't very surprising if you don't like the G1s either :-/

>What I found strange is that the 3-arc PTL has the same damage numbers
as
>the same mass of Class-1 Rail Guns,

Again you're comparing the same MASS instead of the same COST. This
comparison is also muddled a bit by the P-torp's better armour
penetration
and the K1's PD capability, of course.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: DS2 Walker size restrictions Next: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3