Prev: Re: [SGII] Nasty Cover Next: Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Re: [SGII] Nasty Cover

From: Laserlight <laserlight@q...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:53:12 -0500
Subject: Re: [SGII] Nasty Cover

agoodall@att.net wrote:
> I was thinking areas where crime was sufficiently high that you might
want
  to put up bullet proof glass. Or the protected balcony of a local
potentate.
  Or, even, a Popemobile, or its equivalent.

That would have to be *quite* crime-ridden.
We sometimes had someone ask for .236" polycarb for a "glass" door,
usually after the store had been broken into a few times.  Even versus a

big, enthusiastic thug with a sledgehammer, the polycarb will win every
time -- it'll get scratched but it won't break.

Bullet-resistant (not "-proof") "glass" is normally a sandwich of two to

four layers of laminated polycarbonate and/or acrylic ("Plexiglas").
AFAIK it comes in .750" and 1.25" thick, rated to stop a .38 cal and a
.44 magnum, respectively.  OTOH I've seen a 1.25" sheet with a slug from

a 9mm "Hi Power" pistol, which penetrated three of the four layers, ie.
through 1.125 inches.

The thicker version might stand up to 5.56 rounds for a while; I
wouldn't bet that it would stop a 7.62, and I'd be surprised if it *did*

keep out a .50 cal, although it would probably change the angle and make

it hard to place your shot.

Prev: Re: [SGII] Nasty Cover Next: Re: UNSC beta and FB3