Prev: Re: Graser beam observations Next: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:38:12 +0100
Subject: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Jared Hilal wrote:

 >>You're saying Oerjan is wrong? About missile technology? You do know
 >>he designs missile systems for a living, don't you?
 >
 >I understand that he is involved with ATGMs.	However, I know
engineers
 >who worked on the Sidewinder, Sparrow, Mk-50 torpedo, ASROC,
 >SUBROC, IHADS, inertial guidance ring laser gyros, STAFF, SADARM,
 >CLGM, CEM, AT-4, AT-8, and the US 120mm , 155mm, 25mm, and 30mm
>lines.

You actually know engineers who worked on the then-Soviet AT-4 Spigot
and
AT-8 Songster ATGMs? Or did you mean our AT4 (known as M136 in the US
Army)
which was also license-built for the US market by ATK, and  the AT8
bunker-buster that ATK developed from our AT4 design?

Anyway. I see your US weapon systems and raise with RBS 15 (exists both
in
ASM and SSM versions), Taurus KEDP (ASM); AT4, AT4CS, Carl Gustaf and
NLAW
and all their variants (all of which fall in the LAW/MAW category); all
generations of BILL (ATGM); RBS 70/90/Bolide and RBS 23 (SAM types);
Meteor
and IRIS-T (BVRAAM and SRAAM respectively); Torpedo 2000 (pretty
obvious, I
think <g>); STRIX and BONUS (120mm and 155mm PGMs; BONUS is very similar
the US-developed SADARM); and the 3P 40mm and 57mm radar-fused AA gun
ammunition. Plus a bunch of systems and projects which are either
classified or no longer in production. All in all they cover a	bit more

than just ATGMs :-/

Of course I haven't personally worked with all of these products and
projects, but for those I haven't worked with myself I have close
collegues
who either are working with them now or who worked with them during
development. (The gun and mortar ammo types no longer belong to our
company
- they were sold to United Defence back in 2000 AD along with the entire

gun division (nowadays known as "Bofors Defence") - but people from my
division were involved in the development of those products too.) My
understanding of how these various weapon systems work ranges from
fairly
good to intimate; unfortunately I'm not allowed to talk freely about
them.

Oh, and for the record Sweden is officially *not* a member of NATO <g>

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Graser beam observations Next: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3