Prev: RE: UNSC beta and FB3/going to incommunicado Next: Re: more Graser observations

Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 04:40:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3

--- Jared Hilal <jlhilal@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Again, you are incorrect.  I am talking about *all* AAMs.  All US and
> NATO AAMs, in all range categories, have their *seekers* activated
> before launch.  Including the BVR Phoenix.  Some use passive sensors
> and some active, but we are talking about seekers, not sensors.
>
> In fact, I do not know of any AAMs that use IG/GPS/TF to travel to a
> target area as you describe.	Please name them so that I may research
> them.

OK, after some further research, the new AMRRAAM "Slammer" uses
semi-inertial guidance for the longest half of its 30+ km range.
However, it gets continuous updates from its launch platform and the
Phoenix does NOT use IG at any part of its 185+ km range.

> Same for SAMs.  As far as I know, all use active seeking throughout
> their flight, though not all use active sensors.  Please tell me of
> any that use IG/GPS/TF so that I may research them as well.

The short-range PAC-3 Patriot uses IG to direct its hit-to-kill
missiles towards the target (~15km range) and active radar terminal
homing, but this is a supplement to, not replacement for, the 160km
PAC-2.	The PAC-3 is designed to kill ballistic (non-maneuvering)
targets, while the PAC-2, with its command guidance, is designed to
kill maneuvering targets.

Prev: RE: UNSC beta and FB3/going to incommunicado Next: Re: more Graser observations