Prev: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3 Next: Re: Grasers was Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Re: Graser beam observations

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 05:56:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Graser beam observations

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:
> Jared Hilal wrote:
> >Our comparisons were acquired as follows:  A capital ship armed
> >exclusively with 3-arc B3s and a variant replacing the B3s with
> >3-arc PTLs covering the exact same arcs.  Other variants replace B3s

> >with same mass covering same arcs of B2s, B4s, and B5s.  Designs
were
> >tried in a variety of configurations and fire arc distributions.
4-6
> >such ships are played as a squadron in close formation.  Usually 2x
> >B3, 1-2x PTL, 0-1x B2, and 0-1xB4 or B5 ships in the squadron.
>
> Why do you run mixed-weapon squadrons instead of "pure" ones (ie. a
> squadron with only P-torps against one with only B3s, etc.) -

So that the PTs are used in parallel with the beams.

> or was that what you meant by "homogeneous"?

"Homogeneous" in the sense of all ships having hulls (structure,
screens, FCS, PDS) identical to their squadron mates.  When a ship
fires a volley, we resolve the entire volley, then apply the damage, so
that if a target has, for example 15 hull boxes left, we would resolve
the entire volley, even if it does 30 points of damage.  We often play
with a third person as ref, and hull points remaining does not have to
be disclosed to one's opponent.

> >Against homogeneous opposition squadrons, the PTLs consistently
> >produced poorer results than the B3 in terms of damage done per
> >volley except against Screen-3.
>
> In other words, either your dice are consistently skewed in favour of
> the beams (not very likely), or most of your shooting occurs at
ranges
> longer than 18 mu. Fair enough.

Usually 12-30, occasionally an isolated exchange at under 12 (usually
when one side zigs and the other zags :) ).  If it is discovered that
one side has a "carronade ship" armed with B2s, the other side usually
tried to open the range to 24-36.

Prev: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3 Next: Re: Grasers was Re: UNSC beta and FB3