Prev: RE: [LST] Attack Vector: Tactical RE: Stealth and Fighters Next: Re: Grasers was Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Re: Graser beam observations

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:09:12 +0100
Subject: Re: Graser beam observations

Jared Hilal wrote:

><snip 3-arc B3 vs 3-arc PTL>
> >
> > !?!? You have to be kidding. The average damages inflicted by one
> > shot of these two weapons are:
><snip>
> > Even against level-1 screens, the B3 only beats the standard P-torp
> > outside range 18 (and not by very much it doesn't beat the P-torp by
> > very much); inside range 18 the P-torp wins hands down. Against
> > level-*2* screens the P-torp beats the B3 at all ranges it can
reach,
> > leaving only the 30-36 mu band for the B3 to shine.
>
>Yeah, I have worked out the statistical average numbers myself.
>However, I am not talking about theoretical averages, but rather about
>our empirical results acquired  repeatedly and consistently over many
>games.

<snip description of tests>

>Our comparisons were acquired as follows:  A capital ship armed
>exclusively with 3-arc B3s and a variant replacing the B3s with 3-arc
>PTLs covering the exact same arcs.  Other variants replace B3s with
>same mass covering same arcs of B2s, B4s, and B5s.  Designs were tried
>in a variety of configurations and fire arc distributions.  4-6 such
>ships are played as a squadron in close formation.  Usually 2x B3, 1-2x
>PTL, 0-1x B2, and 0-1xB4 or B5 ships in the squadron.

Why do you run mixed-weapon squadrons instead of "pure" ones (ie. a
squadron with only P-torps against one with only B3s, etc.) - or was
that
what you meant by "homogeneous"? (If it was, how did the "homogeneous"
PT-armed opposing squadrons fare?) (Pitting pure-weapon squadrons
against
one another reduces the risk of having the evaluation skewed by things
like
which ship in the squadron you fired first.)

>Against homogeneous opposition squadrons, the PTLs consistently
>produced poorer results than the B3 in terms of damage done per volley
>except against Screen-3.

In other words, either your dice are consistently skewed in favour of
the
beams (not very likely), or most of your shooting occurs at ranges
longer
than 18 mu. Fair enough.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: [LST] Attack Vector: Tactical RE: Stealth and Fighters Next: Re: Grasers was Re: UNSC beta and FB3