Prev: RE: Graser beam observations Next: Re: Graser beam observations

Re: Graser beam observations

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:57:52 +0100
Subject: Re: Graser beam observations

Allan Goodall wrote:

> > The average damages inflicted by one shot of
> > these two weapons (assuming the same number of fire arcs on both, so
> > they're the same Mass and cost) are:
>
>Oerjan, do you have the probability numbers for grasers? I think it
would
>be instructive to the group at large to see the probabilities at
different
>ranges.

You mean the probability to inflict a specific amount of damage, rather
than the overall average? Yes, certainly; and you're quite right that
they're instructive. The calculation here was truncated after the 4th
re-roll (since the probability to reach that high is so small that it
disappears in the rounding) which is why all damage over 12 has been
baked
together into the "13+" entry, but with that caveat the probabilities
that
1 Graser die will inflict X pts of damage are:

		 Target screen level:
Damage: 0	1	2
0		50.0%	66.7%	66.7%
1		5.6%	2.8%	4.2%
2		5.8%	3.0%	4.3%
3		6.0%	3.3%	4.5%
4		6.3%	3.6%	4.7%
5		6.6%	3.9%	4.8%
6		7.0%	4.2%	5.0%
7		1.8%	1.8%	1.0%
8		1.7%	1.7%	0.9%
9		1.6%	1.6%	0.8%
10		1.5%	1.5%	0.7%
11		1.3%	1.3%	0.6%
12		1.1%	1.1%	0.4%
13+		3.7%	3.7%	1.4%

Average:	2.8	2.22	1.63

(The columns don't all add up to exactly 100.0% due to rounding errors.)

IOW there's a big (50-67%) risk that the die misses completely, a fair
chance (21-37% depending on target screen level) that you'll inflict 1-6

pts, and a small (7-13% depending on target screen level) chance that
you'll inflict 7 or more pts of damage.

Note that level-1 screens cuts the probability of low-strength hits (1-6

pts of damage) nearly in half but doesn't change the probability for
high-strength hits, whereas level-2 screens shifts half of the would-be
high-strength hits down into the low-strength section.

Also note that the second most likely result (after 0, that is) is 6 pts
of
damage, closely followed by 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 in that order, then a jump
down to 7, and then the probabilities steadily decrease as the damage
increases. This somewhat unusual damage profile reinforces the graser's
"if
it hits, it hits big" characteristic.

>It also shows why we need detailed AARs, if possible.

Yep.

>Grasers are an all-or-nothing type of weapon. When they hit, they tend
>hit big, but they hit far less often than other weapons.

Yes, at least on a similar-Mass comparison (since other weapons tend to
roll more to-hit dice :-/ ).

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: Graser beam observations Next: Re: Graser beam observations