Prev: RE: [FT] seeking Salvo Missile advice Next: Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Re: Graser beam observations

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 05:56:21 -0600
Subject: Re: Graser beam observations

Excellent point, Matt.	That's why dean and O.O. keep asking for the
details of the engagements (why so few responses?  Are the rest of you
as
bad as I am in keeping track/records of the action during games?) so
they
can see if there is a Uber-weapon to be aware warps the game or if a
particular tactic/weapon works in situation "x" devastatingly but is
useless in siyuation "y" - just like in history.  The British in the age
of sail found that certain tactics were better versus French ships (who
preferred long range sniping) then the Americans (Big, Mean, Short range
carronades.)

Like I know that much about naval games...

Gracias,
Glenn

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:59:46 -0000 "Matt Tope" <mptope@omnihybrid.com>
writes:
>Glen wrote:
>
>>Finally got to test out the graser beams.  The general consensus is
>>that
>>they are too strong.	But, this is in regard to us using lots of
>>class-1
>>Grasers with 6 arcs.	IMO, the mass is too small, its the same as a
>>SMR (mass 4) and someone made the claim that it was like having an
>>unlimited supply of missiles.  The mass of a 6-arc class-1 Graser
>>should
>>probably be 5.  I had a mass-244 ship with 6 SMRs and lots of beams.
>>I swapped out the 6 SMRs for 6-arc class-1 Grasers and toasted
>>ships with them.
>
>>I also tried out a 1-arc class-1 Graser strike boat, mass at 7,
>>costing 30
>>(main drive was advanced).  I got 33 for 1000 points, lost 7 and
>>destroyed a dreadnought-sized ship.  Steve had made a similar one
>>costing 49 that had a 6-arc class-1 Graser (and an armor).
>

>Since the battle I described a few weeks back my group have been
>continuing
>to use the grazer armed vessels I designed, and though the players
>involved
>think the graser is powerful they do not think it is any more deadlyl
>than
>the equivilent mass of k-guns.  The graser armed vessels have lost as
>many
>battles as they have won, fighting numerous types of foes with
>differing
>doctrines and weapon systems. Like all full thrust weapons, no matter
>how
>powerful, if you get your move wrong, and your opponent gets his
>right, you
>are toast no matter what he's firing at you!
>
>Take the example cited of 33 graser armed gunboats decking an SDN. Was
>this
>because they were armed with grasers specifically? I think not. Arm
>all
>those gunboats with submunissions packs, pulse torps or whatever and
>after
>33 have let rip I would think most SDN's would be glowing red and
>covered in
>holes!
>
>I'm a graser fan. I like them, and I use them responsibly. But if
>people
>think they are too powerful then I'am afraid I will have to demand
>K-guns
>get the axe as well ;-), after all K-guns cut through armour, ignore
>screens
>and have a 5/6 chance on k-5 or bigger of ruining any ships day with a
>single hit. Graser's make me afraid, but K-guns TERRIFY me...but I
>wouldn't
>want them changed, they keep me on my toes!
>
>Regards,
>
>Matt Tope

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: RE: [FT] seeking Salvo Missile advice Next: Re: UNSC beta and FB3