Prev: RE: Fire arcs Next: Re: Graser beam observations

Re: Grazers then Ship Sizes

From: Michael Robert Blair <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:28:45 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Grazers then Ship Sizes

What about limiting Grazers to the larger sizes -
"Even the UN has not been able to miniaturise the
grazer system limiting its installition to larger
vessels".

So there might not be a class-1 or even a class-2
grazer, they would start at class 2 or even 3.

This will start a lot of whining and a little
confusion though.

I just want a big ass beam weapon for capital ships
that is a less cinematic than the Nova Cannon - which
does make a nice anti-fighter weapon, especially if
you have several ships with these 'fighter brooms'.

A lot of discussion on this list seems to be favouring
the smaller ships at the expense of the heavies. So
here is a dissadent opinion.

At the moment big ships are more efficent than small
ones, surely this is a good thing to help combat
mosquito fleets? Small ships should go 'pop' easily,
the more rows of hull boxes they have the better -
they are going to degrade very quickly if they start
taking hits.

At the same time we don't want ridiculously large
ships, if a fleet has just one mass 500 ship then
something is badly wrong.

You have heavies to form a solid line of battle, not
particularly fast or agile but capable of taking and
dishing out damage wholesale. Then lighter ships for
other missions and to help defend the fleet against
fighters and other small ships.

If small ships go to near the heavies they may die
very quickly - unless the fleet is heavily engaged
with your own heavies.

This is what I think the game should be like, is it
anything like this for other people or are my biases
overwhelming any natural inclinations in the FT game
itself?

Michael

Prev: RE: Fire arcs Next: Re: Graser beam observations