Prev: Re: Boo! Next: Re: Graser beam observations

Re: Graser beam observations

From: "Star Ranger" <dean@s...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:32:16 -0600
Subject: Re: Graser beam observations

> Finally got to test out the graser beams.  The general consensus is
> that
> they are too strong.	But, this is in regard to us using lots of
> class-1
> Grasers with 6 arcs.

Great, battle reports.	Since some others have voiced this same concern,
have some questions so we can better understand how it was used in
battle
and make sure other factors didn't play a part in this concensus.

How was the dice rolling?  High, medium or low?

> IMO, the mass is too small, its the same as a
> SMR (mass 4) and someone made the claim that it was like having an
> unlimited supply of missiles.  The mass of a 6-arc class-1 Graser
> should
> probably be 5.  I had a mass-244 ship with 6 SMRs and lots of beams.
> I swapped out the 6 SMRs for 6-arc class-1 Grasers and toasted
> ships with them.

What if you replaced those 6 G1-6s with 8 Beam2-6arcs, would it have
been
similar?  Would the extra 6" of range of the B2 have made a difference?
What was the normal engagement range?  Did your opponant try and keep
away
or close?

> I also tried out a 1-arc class-1 Graser strike boat, mass at 7,
> costing 30
> (main drive was advanced).  I got 33 for 1000 points, lost 7 and
> destroyed a dreadnought-sized ship.  Steve had made a similar one
> costing 49 that had a 6-arc class-1 Graser (and an armor).

Did all 33 go against a single DN?  33 fire cons vs maybe 4?  That kind
of
battle can give weird results.	Try it again with the same strike boats
but
with a single Beam2-3arc and see how it goes (you can actually field 35
of
the Beam2 versions for 1000 pts, 38 if they have normal drives)

Thanks again for testing the Graser,

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com
dean@star-ranger.com

Prev: Re: Boo! Next: Re: Graser beam observations