Prev: Re: (GZG) Figure base Next: [SG] 15mm based Re: (GZG) Figure base

Re: (GZG) Figure base

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:58:14 +0000
Subject: Re: (GZG) Figure base

Robin wrote:

> I have just placed my order for some GZG 15mm SG figures.  I would
like some
> advice on the best basing method -  I was thinking along the lines of
> washer or coin (uk sterling please).	Has anyone a good standard to
follow
> for 15mm?

I have some original NAC and ESU 15mm figures, and some new Phalon 15mm
figures. I also have WW2 15mm figures and a lot of old Traveller 15mm
figures.

I mounted the WW2 figures, which are by Essex, I believe, on small
washers. The washers are pretty tiny at 1/2 an inch across. I'll have to
measure them. I did this, as opposed to pennies, so that they would
stick to magnets. One thing I found was that the bases are so small and
sheet magnets are sufficiently weak, that the figures don't stick very
well. I'm not sure it's worth going with the washers for this reason
alone.

The Phalon 15mm figures already come on bases, and these bases are
exactly the same size as the washers I used on the WW2 figures. This
means that there's no reason to go with 1/2" washers, as it adds extra
height to the figure without doing much for its stability (the bases
already make them reasonably stable).

So, I could mount them on larger bases. That's what I did with the
Traveller figures. I am hesitant to do that because the larger bases
mean that the figures are pushed further apart. One advantage of 15mm
figures is that with 1/2" bases you can use metric measurements if
pressed for space and still have things work out, more or less, the same
as if you used inch measurements and 25mm figures.

I plan not to mount the Phalons on any bases, just using what they came
with, unless they seem to be inordinately top heavy.

I wouldn't go much bigger than 3/4" for a base width in 15mm. One of the
advantages of 15mm figures, even if using 1" measurement as per the SG2
rulebook, is that you can clump figures closer together. If you go
beyond 3/4", you start to have the figures spread out as much as with
25mm figures. In that case, you might as well use 25mm figures as they
are easier to see.

Let me sum up: you want a base between 1/2" and 3/4" in width; the
figures won't fit on a base smaller than that, and you lose the
advantage of 15mm figures with bases larger than that. You want to mount
them on washers if you are concerned about keeping them on a surface
with magnets, but be aware that you need a powerful magnet for it to
work well. Other than that, use whatever small piece of British currency
might fit the bill, if indeed the figures need a base at all.

Let us know how you do. I'd like to put this up on my web site at some
point.

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: (GZG) Figure base Next: [SG] 15mm based Re: (GZG) Figure base