Prev: Re: Concept: mass and mass Next: RE: [SG] Phalon beta

Re: Concept: mass and mass

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:16:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Concept: mass and mass

--- warbeads@juno.com wrote:
> Okay, silly question - Why?
-------
I noticed that the NAC CL and CE were rather
close in actual size.	I just make a jump to
the concept of actual mass being used to
determine the ship mass.   The ships being
solid (for the most part) and the build system
in FTFB being percentages of the mass just sort
of evolved into the concept.

> Are you comparing the ship in grams to the ship
> listing in the books in mass?
> At an undefined scale and with no guarantee of
> consistency between models
> of the same nationality  (how much difference is 1
> mass at any common SF
> starship scale anyway?  I have no clue) how
> consistent 'should' the
> weights (grams) be to the mass (tons)?  Given that
> the models are
> honestly more 'counters' then models - despite the
> beautiful sculpting
> which i cannot approach)...
-------
No, the actual mass of the model ship determines
the ship mass for construction in the rules.
(I did need to provide a minimum value so that
FF and smaller had some limited value in the game.)

> - what is the goal of this exercise?	Are you
> seeing if the same 'paper tonnage' ships of the
> various forces are consistent?
-------
This is patially brough about by the 'fleet theme'
that has floated around lately.   Looking at the
NSL DD and the FCT DD, one can clearly see that
the FCT ship is actually twice the size of the
NSL DD, I this the basis of a fleet theme?
It is possible that the FCT tends to build
larger than average ships and classes then
by a different standard that the other powers.

> It sounds like a lot of work but I am obviously
> missing the reason you
> are going to this much trouble...
-------
It's fun, also provides comment for the list.

> That said, interesting numbers.  What's an LL?
-------
NAC Lancer

>  I think I can figure out CCC, CB (old BC?,)
-------
Correct.

>  CC, CC-B, CBA, and CBL.
-------
Corvette, UN battle corvette, CBA/CBL are typos
should be CVA and CVL.

> Maybe. Isn't SS Submarine???
-------
Sorry, I slipped in too many personal shorthand
terms.	SS is a scout ship (SC).

Just to add confusion to the discussion, the
last message has actual mass in grams for the
listed ships.	Convert to game mass by
taking;
(actual mass +4) X 2 = design mass.

Bye for now,
John L.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: Concept: mass and mass Next: RE: [SG] Phalon beta