Prev: Re: Rant Warning below Next: Re: Rant Warning below Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Re: Rant Warning below

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:08:46 -0600
Subject: Re: Rant Warning below

***
In original Trek the various fleets had the feel of a few individual,
might ships, rather than large fleets of hundreds or thousands. There
were on the order of 20 Constitution class vessels like Enterprise
during TOS setting,
***

-geek-
In one episode, with the over-crowded planet, Kirk sez twelve...

Lost three(?) in the Ultimate Computer, one to The Doomsday Machine, I
think one to the amoeba. No clue to how many supposedly built over the
period.
-/geek-

Hmm, can't be TOO geek if I can't remember the first episode title.

Of course, Roddenberry made the connection to Hornblower, so there's a
strong sense of 18th-19th century, and I know that stuck with me. Less
line
battles and more frigate encounters, of course.

Rising tech has made the world smaller in the simple senses with which
warfare deals. The naval model feels closer to many of us of what we'd
expect of space, though the variations should be deliciously unexpected.

***
(...)they'd have to make up their own terms for destroyer,
battleship, and so on, or borrow the Navy ones...
***

I've seen where 'making up' has been done in sci-fi. For aliens, it
sounds
artificial; for humans just weird. Natch, in B5, where the largest ship
the
humans have is a 'destroyer', it's obvious, you can get away with fudge.
was almost surprised the Vorlon planetary terminator wasn't abbreviated
as
a PT. ;->=

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Rant Warning below Next: Re: Rant Warning below Re: UNSC beta and FB3