Prev: First Clash - a Power Projection:Escort/Fleet scenario Next: Re: Genericity of grasers (was Re: UNSC beta and FB3)

Re: Rant Warning below Re: UNSC beta and FB3

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:41:34 +0000
Subject: Re: Rant Warning below Re: UNSC beta and FB3

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 05:25:47PM -0600, warbeads@juno.com wrote:

>I think all of you know that the 'space navy' aspect is one of the
>assumptions I personally question as 'best' much less 'most likely'
>possible future but then I was 'tainted' while in the USAF in my mid to
>late 20's.

I think the justification is usually "well, the Navy already has
experience in operating vehicles with large crews on extended missions
away from a friendly base". I can see the USAF gaining dominance if
space war started with suborbital fighters and short-duration missions
(which is probably more likely in the real world)... but given the
multitude of designs and roles by the time you get to something like
Full Thrust, they'd have to make up their own terms for destroyer,
battleship, and so on, or borrow the Navy ones...