Prev: Re: [OT] Dirty ol' men Re: The ECC VII Quote Board Next: Re: The ECC VII Quote Board

Re: Meson Artillery

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:33:37 +0100
Subject: Re: Meson Artillery

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark A. Siefert" <siefertma@wi.rr.com>
To: "Gzg" <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 4:31 AM
Subject: Meson Artillery

> I'm playing around with some Traveller conversions for DSII, and
working
on
> artillery rules for meson guns.  For the uninitiated, meson cannons
project
> particle beams that pass through solid matter until they reach their
> intended target where the particles decay with explosive results.
Although
> it's technically a direct fire weapon, it's used as artillery because
of
> it's ability for it's beam to pass through hills, mountains, forests,
> structures, etc..
>
> Meson guns are nasty and the last thing I want is for this to descend
into
> munchkinism!	They ignore armor and attack their target directly.  In
> Striker/Striker II any unit unfortunate enough to fall under
bombardment
are
> instantly destroyed no matter what.  For my conversion, I was thinking
that
> everything under the two inch beaten zone is KO just like a nuke round
only
> without the morale effects.

Well, the Traveller type Meson Gun is a lot of PSB (see recent posts for
the
definition of that term). As someone who has actually worked with the
stuff
at university (long time ago...), some comments about making it more
"realistic":

There are basically two types of Mesons, charged and neutral ones.
Charged
mesons can't penetrate matter very effectively, and deposit a lot of
their
energy on the way, so probably are useless for the purpose.

Neutral Mesons are closer, but they are hard to focus, and still
interact to
some degree with matter through which they pass.

Suggestions:
Give the meson gun range bands, with reduced effect, but larger hit area
for
increased range.
Ignore low-density obstacles, e.g. woods, but if the beam passes through
hills, treat it as if shooting at greater range.
Give armor some limited protective value.
The need for observers has already been commented on.
Producing Mesons is an inherently inefficient process. Much worse than
other
kinds of beams, hence the shooter should have a large heat signature.
"Ammo Markers" are OK. To deposit a massive amount of energy at the
target,
you need an even bigger amount at the gun. Charges should be limited
even
for an energy weapon.

Greetings
Karl Heinz.

Prev: Re: [OT] Dirty ol' men Re: The ECC VII Quote Board Next: Re: The ECC VII Quote Board