Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers

Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:31:52 +0100
Subject: Re: Fighters and Hangers

Randall Joiner wrote:

>Fine...  and a good point.  Some nit-picking, 10 fighter are not likely
>kill a cruiser in one turn.  Cruiser's usually have PDS.

So scale the scenario back up to 4 groups vs 24 individual fighters
<shrug>

>Bob was foolish for jumping the fighter's already assigned to attack,
he
>needs to jump ones that haven't been assigned.

Since Bob's fighter groups still can't jump more than 1 enemy fighter
each,
it makes exactly zero difference if Bob jumps the ones that have already

moved or the ones which haven't moved yet.

>And there's some easy rules to deal with this problem.  (Dirtside has
>solved this problem, in an elegent way, IMHO)
>One-  Balance Initiative, he who has the most figures/counters/etc
moves
>until a balance has been reached:  Ie.  Bob has 1, Jack has 4, Jack
moves
>3, then Bob move his 1,

Since allows Jack to move first he moves one of his groups into a
dogfight
with Bob's single group, which means that Bob can't move his group
without
Jack's group getting a free shot at it. Your other variants all share
this
same problem too: they allow Jack to engage most or even all of Bob's
fighter groups in dogfights before Bob can move them.

>Three-  If you allow variable group numbers, why enforce grouping in
>space?  Ie.  Bob has 1 group of 6, Jack has 6 groups of 1.  Bob splits
his
>group into 6 groups of 1, and engage's as per normal.

That's a nice solution. Causes a rather nasty book-keeping mess when the

fighters from a squadron have to move away in different directions, but
could live with that.

>Alpha:  Per PDS can target up to 6 fighters, with 6's and re-rolls
>spilling over group's until 6 fighters are destroyed, or the re-rolls
stop.

So why can't you do this against salvo missile salvoes that roll less
than
a "6"? (Or if you use scatterguns, against strength-1 plasma bolts?)

>Beta:	Fighter's in groups less than 6 no longer get 2 points of damage

>per 6, and no re-rolls.

So as soon as any of Bob's groups takes a single casualty, each of its
*surviving* fighters lose three-eights of its firepower? I'm afraid I
don't
quite see the PSB logic behind this.

>Finally, as I read the rules, I see no reason why groups of 1, 2, 10 or
50
>aren't allowed.

Because of the game-mechanics problems that have been described in a
fair
amount of detail in this thread. They are the only reasons for it - but
there are so many of them that you need to re-write the entire fighter
rules from the bottom up to get rid of them all.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers