Prev: RE: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: this is a first...

Re: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:19:31 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers

> I encountered similar problems when doing the conversion of FT I to
WW2 Naval - for instance an Iowa class battleship had 9 Class A (Beam 3)
guns mounted in three turrets, twenty Class C (Beam 1) mounted on the
sides, 10 PDS and 4 ADS.  Belt armor was represented by shields, but
ignored if fire came from the front/rear arc or from long range
(plunging fire). Hull boxes was based on displacement, roughly 1 box per
1,000 tons with some fudge factor based on anecdotal evidence of
strength of design.

   Did the "armored box" design of the Iowa's cut across the front and
rear of
 the ship?  There should be some kind of armor against plunging fire as
well I
 would think.

> Interesting enough, large American carriers (Essex Class) were serious
ship killers with 10 stands of planes (representing 120 planes)  With
limited launch and recover facilities (one stand per turn, flight deck
only allowed to launch or land, not both in the same turn) it would take
5-6 turns for a strike to form then a large cloud of planes would
descend on some poor hapless target and pretty much annihilate it. (18
torpedo shots can ruin a battleship's day) then take another 10-12 turns
to land, re-arm and launch again.  The main concern was the opposing
fleet's aircraft attacking while your own planes were down for
re-arming.

   The big thing with aircraft of the time was that it was usually very
hard to
 locate the target.

> There was a problem with Battleships and heavy cruisers annilhating
destroyers at long ranges, which historically didn't happen much.
Another issue is that in real life, salvoes are very much hit or miss,
with rarely anything like a "grazing" shot.  Getting slammed with 1,600
lbs of armor-piercing steel is going to hurt, but a near miss is only
going to get you wet, so in reality there should be a "to hit" roll then
a damage roll.

   Sounds like a "to hit" would be needed.  Battleship shells frequently
failed
 to detonate when they hit destroyers as well.	They were just too
lightly
 armored to set off the AP shells.

> Submarines were ok with a referee but oddly unsatisfactorily slow and
unpredictable, a good salvo of 6 torpedoes into a key ship could change
a battle in an instant, but getting the submarine into the correct
position was a very difficult job.

   Hmm, sounds like real life WWII submarine ops then.	They really did
only
 operate well against shipping away from battle zones.

 grant

Prev: RE: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: this is a first...