Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: [GZG] Keeping games moving Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

From: Tony Francis <tony@b...>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:23:54 +0000
Subject: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

I've been involved in the running of a number of participation games at
UK shows over the years. Punters at our events are far more shopping
oriented and are less inclined to spend time at a game, so we catered
for that reduced concentration span by making our games time driven so
that the players had to achieve their objective in a given time frame
(we always set our games to be 55 minutes - we cycle round every hour
with five minutes to reset the game). The best example was our 'Berlin
or Bust' WW2 game that had the participants playing the US forces and
effectively all they had to do was get to the other end of the table in
their allotted time. Because the game is driven by real time, not game
time (ie number of turns) there is an obvious incentive to get on with
it. We found that, especially towards the end of games when the
objective was in sight, players would deliberately hold back from
time-consuming but unnecessary actions (you know the sort of thing -
"I'll just take a speculative pot-shot at that church tower, you never
know if there's a sniper in it !") because they just wanted to get on
with the next turn.

This works fine for GM'd games where the participants are only playing
one side - obviously there would be massive potential for time-wasting
if participants were on both sides.