Prev: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:47:30 -0500
Subject: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

John K Lerchey wrote:
> I think that in both cases, if there are few enough units (and I think
> that I've decided that I don't care much if a player loses everything
in
> one turn - if I had only had 2 platoons in durango, that could have
been
> me!) - it's one way to speed up the game.  "Sorry, but your units have
> been destroyed.  Stick around til the end of the game, or come back
then
> so you can pick up a prize and see the outome!"

Problem is, it's not a lot of fun if you get knocked out of a game
in the first half hour, and then have 3.5 hours to kill.  What might
be okay among friends you know well is different when you're at a
Con and running an event for anybody coming in the door -- you're not
just providing a good time, you're showcasing a system and your
scenario.

As Jon Davis pointed out, the only real solution is preparation and
playtesting.  Plus, if you're planning to run a large scenario,
just lay down the law and say "Sorry, you can't play this unless
you're an experienced DS2 player" or whatever.	That way, you can
try and run your big scenario and the person won't be overwhelmed
and can go and find an event more suited to his/her skill level.
(Of course, this is contingent on people running scenarios at that
skill level.  This is why I like running McGuffin, it's a great
introduction to FT, with just a couple of house rules to make
things a little more interesting.  Plus, if you make a bad mistake,
the respawn rules means you get another chance, as opposed to being
knocked out and spending the next three hours twiddling your thumbs.)

*shrug*

JGH
--
Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan - TBFTGOGGI
"The snow is coming down, on our New England town, and it's been falling

Prev: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII