Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: [FT] The Battle of Zibriske Point, a 40000cpv battle report

Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:39:51 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

Hi All,

So, I'm thinking about some scenaro development that might make for more
easily resolved games.	I was thinking about the GEV "breakthrough"
scenario.  The GEVs are attacking, but want to break through to operate
behind enemy lines.  Victory points are assigned based on how many GEVs
get off the far end of the table.  That kind of thing with VTOLs and
hover
craft for the "GEVs", and the defender having ADS and normal units could
be fun.  Also, a game where you have a road or two, with defensive
positions, a sighting system, and a supply column with escorts could be
cool.  The attackers have to get the convoy trucks safely through and
off
the other side.  The defenders are there to stop them, but have to make
hard choices about positions and such since despite their objectives,
the
escorts are clearly going to be "nearest threat" targets, so they won't
be
able to fire past tanks to hit trucks.

I'm going to paint up more units and give both of these a try in the
next
few months.

I think that in both cases, if there are few enough units (and I think
that I've decided that I don't care much if a player loses everything in
one turn - if I had only had 2 platoons in durango, that could have been
me!) - it's one way to speed up the game.  "Sorry, but your units have
been destroyed.  Stick around til the end of the game, or come back then
so you can pick up a prize and see the outome!"

Also, the fully clear objectives (which are not always "kill the enemy")
may speed things up.  If my objective is "get my stuff off the other
side", I'm gonna MOVE as much as I can, and try to avoid contact.  The
guy
trying to stop me won't, but *I* will.	If I'm smart, and want to win.

Since this was the first time that I've run a game at a con, I'll admit
that I didn't know what to expect, and yes, my games bogged down a bit.
I'll work on making sure that that is less of an issue next year. :)

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University

Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: [FT] The Battle of Zibriske Point, a 40000cpv battle report