Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers

Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: "david smith" <bifsmith207@h...>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:38:51 +0000
Subject: Re: Fighters and Hangers

>From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@yahoo.com>
>To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
>Subject: Re: Fighters and Hangers
>Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 02:26:44 -0800 (PST)
>
>Most popular SF, like SW, BSG, and B5, have fighters comparable to
>modern fighters in size, when comparing the fighter prop to the actor
>standing next to it or in the cockpit.  Modern light fighters (like the
>F-16 or F/A-18) are about 20-25 tons.	Heavy fighters (like the F-15,
>F-14, A-6, or A-10) are about 30-35 tons (and only the A-10 would
>qualify as a FT "Heavy" IMO).	The largest is the F/B-111, which is
>more a light bomber than a fighter, at almost 50 tons max. TOW.
>However, at 100 tons, FT/FB fighters are 2-5 times larger than modern
>fighters.  Even at 50 tons (0.5 MASS), a FB fighter is comparable to a
>F/B-111.

My idea for the size difference comes down to reaction mass. I compair
the
amount of fuel a space shuttle carries to what a boing 747 carries.

>Further, the FB ships are small compared to modern naval ships and tiny
>compared to SW (films ,not books, and excluding Super SDs), BSG, and B5
>ships.  Compared to any of David Weber's settings, they are downright
>miniscule, many FB capitals comparing to Weber's parasite STL daughter
>ships.

You have to make comprimises. After all, a shrike class LAC from HH
would
mass in at 200 mass, and be able to pull 400 thrust under stealth (which
you
wouldn`t be able to detect it over a certain range. Want to try and
catch
one?).

>All of the FB "super-dreadnoughts" are smaller than the real HMS
>Dreadnought of 1906 (and comparable in size to the SW Corellian
>Corvette/Gunship/Blockade Runner).  The 1922 "Treaty Battleships" would
>be around TMF 400-450 in FB terms, the "post-Treaty" ships built in the
>late 30s/early 40s would be TMF 600-750, and a modern USN supercarrier
>would be well over TMF 900.  All this is with fighters that are 1/2 to
>1/5 the size of the FB fighters, depending on which definition of FB
>fighters you use.

I tried building wet navy style ships in FT, and found using K-guns in
turrets and PH layered armour makes for some interesting ships.

BIF

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers