Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: RE: SGII And Points

RE: SGII And Points

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:52:29 +1100
Subject: RE: SGII And Points

G'day

> Today I was at the local game store and the topic of SGII
> came about.  No sooner had said the name did the local GW
> fan contingent tell me that SGII "sucks"..."Tuffley made a
> mistake by not adding a point system, he'll never compete
> with GW by doing that."

While the bitchy side of me would be dying to answer along the lines of
"Yes that's obviously because GW has already cornered the market on
well-balanced, complete and value for money rule sets...".

Unfortunately that would probably lead to either blank looks on their
part or ostracism and still not bring the "I have paid through the nose
so feel obligated to defend" people around. So the best response in my
experience is to see if you can organise a game they can
watch/participate in, even use GW figs if you have any. Also get them to
toss out ideas for scenarios and play one (this is easier if you have
enough experience to take their idea and make it a playable scenario on
the fly). Also have copies of the point systems available for them to
take if they show even the slightest interest, but are still hesitating
over the rule set (people like this are happier to take stuff off the
net if they don't have to find it themselves, especially if it also
looks flashy).

In the end people who have had their socks knocked off find it harder to
argue... they also find it harder to chase you down an asphalt street if
the bitchy class of answers comes out anyway ;)

Have fun

Beth

Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: RE: SGII And Points